Friday, May 1, 2015

Postman on Parenting

From the sage Neil Postman:

“If parents wish to preserve childhood for their own children, they must conceive of parenting as an act of rebellion against culture.” 

Which is ironic, because most of us operate as if deviating from cultural norms about raising children will create weird kids that will be ostracized and psychologically damaged by not fitting the mold.

The same day I read this Postman quote, a friend of mine drew my attention to this article, which I think stands for itself. I'm no expert on parenting, but this struck me as exactly what most of us with kids need to be reminded of.

Check it out here: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-dannemiller/the-one-question-every-parent-should-quit-asking_b_6182248.html


Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment